Lutron dimmers use tinned copper wires on some of our products. These
wires are silver in color as a result of the tinning process. Tinned
copper wires are compatible with copper wiring and wire nuts. Lutron
dimmer uses tinned copper wires to avoid stray strands and to make our
products easier to install.
Was this helpful?00Thank you for your vote!Sorry, you already rated this answer.Unable to save your vote. Please, try again later. contact us about this question
First, you must determine
the number of switches that control the light(s) you are going to dim.
If there is only one switch use a:
Single-Pole dimmer - used to
dim a light from one location.
If there is more than one switch use
3-Way dimmer - used to
dim a light from two locations. An example would be choosing a two Lutron 3-Way
dimmers to control a single light fixture.for more locations you would need a:Multi-location dimmer to
dim a light from up to ten locations. Choose one
When dimmers are in the same wallbox, they are considered "ganged". To install ganged dimmers, simply remove the dimmer side sections from the heat sink (side tabs). The maximum wattage capacity for each dimmer is reduced (derated) so that the dimmer does not overheat.
During normal operation, dimmers do get warm to the touch. A wallbox dimmer's efficiency is typically around 99%. The other 1% is dissipated in the dimmer as heat. So a dimmer on a 600 W load would produce around 6 watts of heat. This is on the order of a small night light.