Hayward C12002 Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, 120 Sq. Ft., 2" FIP
Ask a Question
About this Product
Hayward's Star-Clear Plus filters offer added quality, value and convenience in cartridge filtration. Star-Clear Plus filters are the ideal choice for the most demanding applications and environmental conditions. Plus, with a larger filtration element, Star-Clear Plus filters have greater effective filtration area than similar sized and priced cartridge filters.|
How A Cartridge Filter Works
Single Locking Knob securely fastens filter head to filter tank, eliminating clamps or bolts. Filter Head provides easy access to cartridge element. May be rotated to conveniently position pressure gauge and manual air relief valve. The Heavy-Duty Filter Tank injection is molded of reinforced thermoplastic for dependable, corrosion-free performance. Scavenger Tube Air Relief purges any trapped air during filter operation. Single Element Cartridge is engineered of high-quality reinforced polyester, with gasketed molded end caps, for maximum efficiency, easier cleaning and longer life. Precision-Engineered Extruded Core provides extra strength and superior flow. Elevated Filtered Water Collector and Debris Sump prevents accidental by-pass of heavy debris to pool or spa when cartridge is removed for cleaning.
See below to read the differences between D.E. and Cartridge filters.
D.E. vs Cartridge Filters: DE is always a much better filter; it will filter about 10 times finer particles than cartridge will. Cartridge filters need to be cleaned every few months, whereas DE filters can usually go month or two longer for similar sized filters. Backwashing is not recommended, but you want to you can. If a DE filter is properly sized (48 or 60 sq ft for most residential pools) they will usually only need to be cleaned 2 times a year. Without the help of cellulose, a cartridge filter will have a very difficult time filtering out algae (should the pool get it which all pools do),when you add one of these products it's basically like putting DE in a cartridge filter. Your other option is to add a flocculent, which will clump the particles so they are bigger and the cartridge will filter them out, with a flocculent you are making the particle bigger and with cellulose you are adding an additive to allow the filter to filter out finer particles. The only advantages to cartridge are that they are slightly more customer friendly and slightly easier to clean, mostly because you don't have to add DE when you are done cleaning it. The assembly (putting the filter back together) is also a little bit easier. This should not influence anyone's decision as to which one is better, and should be purchased. A lot of builders use cartridge filters because many cities require them, or they don't allow DE on new construction. The reason for that is that DE is not good for the environment. Almost 100% of the filters purchased by the service trade are DE, because they work MUCH better. Also, the life expectancy of a grid (DE) is about 10 years if they are taken care of (backwashing will decrease the life expectancy because it stretches the cloth on the grid), a cartridge is only expected to last 3-5 years. Replacement cartridges also cost about double what a new set of grids would.
Features:• INCLUDES 2" FIP x 2" SKT Adapter|
• Extra durable glass reinforced co-polymer material to meet the demands of the toughest applications and environmental conditions, including in-floor cleaning systems
• Single piece Injection-Molded Base and body provides added strength for reliable, corrosion-free performance
• Single locking Knob securely fastens head to Filter Tank, eliminating Bolts or Clamps
• Attractive, durable filter head may be rotated to conveniently position Pressure Gauge and manual air relief
• Extra-large Cartridge element with new precision engineered extruded Core provides extra strength and maximum flow
• Elevated, filtered water collector and Debris Sump prevents accidental by-pass of heavy debris to Pool when Cartridge is removed for cleaning
• 2" FIP Connections for Plumbing versatility
• 1/2" FIP Filter Drain for fast draining
• Accepts standard Spigot Valve
Specifications:• Pipe Size: 2" FIP|
• Performance Data: Residential
• Effective Filtration Area: 120 ft.2
• Design Flow Rate: 120 GPM (Based on 1 GPM/ft.2)
• Turnover Capacity (In Gallons): 8 Hours: 57,600 / 10 Hours: 72,000
• Performance Data: Public
• Effective Filtration Area: 120 ft.2
• Design Flow Rate: 45 GPM (Based on .375 GPM/ft.2. Determined by Pump Size & Piping system Hydraulics. 2" Piping Recommended for flow rates above 90 GPM)
• Turnover Capacity (In Gallons): 8 Hours: 21,600 / 10 Hours: 27,000
Write Your Own Review:
Questions & Answers
If you are a new customer, please register first:
You may also be interested in the following products:
to get 5% Off this Item!