How to Install a Drop In Sink
You may be intimidated at the thought of installing a drop in sink, but let us reassure you its a very simple process.
Simply follow the steps below and you will be one step closer to your dream kitchen sink.
Preparation: If you are starting from scratch, you will need to install the faucets, and make sure the pipes line up with where your new sink will be placed. Cut the hole in your countertop to match the size of sink you are installing.
What you need to complete the project
- Carpenters pencil
- caulk gun
- drop in sink
- jig saw
- masking tape
- measuring tape
- plastic putty knife
- power drill
- silicone caulk
- utility knife
Drop In Sink Step by Step Instructions
- Draw a template for the sink by setting it upside down on a piece of cardboard and drawing a line around it.
- Draw a second line around 3/4” inside the first line
- Cut the inside line with scissors
- Find and mark the center of the counter top, do this by measuring the length and width from under the sink
- Drill a hole large enough for a nail in the exact center
- Find and mark the center of your cardboard template
- Put a nail through the center of the template
- Align the center of the template with the center of the counter top and use the nail to secure that the two pieces are exact
- Make sure the template is perfectly square and trace it onto the counter top
- Remove the template and use masking tape to mark the lines you drew
- Replace the template and trace the outside of the cardboard onto the tape
- Use a drill and a 3/4” spade bit to start a hole for the saw. Start on the corner of the line you drew on the tape
- Support the underside of the counter top with a brace of some kind, ie: a 2x4
- Cut along your line using a down-cutting 5/16” wide laminate or similar saber saw blade. Make sure the blade is designed to cut counter tops without chipping.
- Remove cut portion from counter top.
- Test the sink in the opening
- If the sink fits, draw a light line along the counter top around the sink
- Remove the sink and apply a continuous bead of caulk between the line you drew and the opening
- Carefully place the sink in the opening
- Press the sink firmly into the caulking
- Check to ensure the sink is level
- Connect the faucets and check for leaks
- Clean up any excess caulking from around the sink with a putty knife and a rag.
At Westside Wholesale, we offer a variety of drop-in sinks. It's the perfect addition to any kitchen and is as beautiful as it is functional. With its scratch resistant satin finish and padded stone guard insulation, it will last a lifetime and look brand new.
Shop Kitchen Sink Selections.