How to Install a Dimmer Switch
Want to create a richer ambience in your space? A simple solution would be installing a dimmer switch. This give you more options than just having the light on or off. It can create a romantic setting or the perfect party lighting. Most dimmer switches are designed to fit your already existing outlets so installation is easy. With these simple steps you can be on your way to creating the atmosphere you desire.
Dimmers come in two configurations. Standard single-pole dimmers and three way dimmers. The single has one switch that controls the light, the three way has two switches. The single switch gives you the option to dim the light all the way up or on at its brightest then all the way down to the dimmest or off position. The three way lets you use one switch to turn the light on and off and the other dims the light. The three way is also used if multiple light switches are managed by one outlet.
Tools for this Job:
- phillips head screwdriver
- slotted screwdriver
- long nose pliers
- wire stripper
- wire cutter
- voltage tester
- dimmer wall plate (if needed)
- wire connector nuts
- electrical tape
- mounting hardware
Step 1: Turn off power to the outlet
Step 2: Remove old switch
- Remove the plate and screws
- Disconnect all wires from old switch
Step 3: Connect the new dimmer switch
- Connect the ground wire from the dimmer switch to the green or bare copper wire by twisting them clockwise and capping them with a wire connector nut.
- Connect each dimmer wire to a house wire by twisting them together. Wire from dimmer will typically be black while house wires can be black, white or red. After they are twisted together place a cap on the ends.
- Use screwdriver and mount into wall.
Step 4: Replace Wall Plate
- Tuck wires back into the electrical box
- Tighten all screws
- Test the dimmer
View our Entire Selection of Dimmer Switches Here.