How to Install Recessed Lighting
You’re researching how to install recessed lighting, but you’re not sure what type of recessed lighting you need for your home. There are a number of different types of recessed lighting on the market today from halogens to compact fluorescents and LED’s. Long-lasting LEDs are energy saving, and for that reason many homeowners are making the switch to LED lighting for most home-lighting needs.
Before you begin to install recessed lighting, you will need to decide which type of lighting meets your needs and budget. The following project will take you step-by-step through how to install recessed lighting using a 6-inch can light. You will need a remodel can (a 6-inch can light), a 6-inch hole saw, wire cutters, wire strippers, a hammer and a screwdriver.
- Find and mark a spot on your ceiling where you’d like to install your light. (Make sure you’re not drilling into any joists.) Using a 6-inch hole saw, drill up through the ceiling.
- Make sure the power is off at the panel, and test any potentially live wires with a voltage tester.
- Locate the Romex cable, and strip about 6 inches to expose the wires. Then strip about 3/8 inch off of each wire.
- With a hammer and screwdriver, knock out the knock out hole in the can’s attached electrical box, and attach a Romex connector.
- Thread the Romex cable into the can light’s electrical box through the Romex connector.
- Twist and cap the wires, making sure you connect the appropriate color wires together. (For detailed wiring instructions, see your product’s instruction manual.)
- Pack the wires into the can’s electrical box. Close the box lid, and push the remodel can into the ceiling. Push in the clips located on the inside of the can light to securely fit it into place.
- Locate the socket, and bring it down through the can, then connect the housing trim to the socket.
- Insert the V-clips into the can light’s housing, and push it up into place.
- Twist in the bulb, and turn the power back on at the panel to test your light.