- Your Shopping Cart is empty.
Humidifier Buying Guide: How to Choose The Right Humidifier For Your Home
Humidifiers can help control the moisture level in your home or office and alleviate dry skin, chapped lips, itchy eyes and respiratory problems caused by dry air. For the best air quality, the recommended indoor humidity level is between 30 to 50 percent. When it comes to choosing the right humidifier to suit your needs, it’s not uncommon to feel overwhelmed at the multitude of available options. If you’re not familiar with how to buy a humidifier, here are some factors to consider when choosing the best one for your needs:
1. Room Size – Portable humidifiers are ideal for individual rooms, but if you’re looking to treat your entire home or office, a console humidifier (also called a whole-house humidifier) offers higher efficiency and better coverage.
2. Capacity – To choose the right humidifier size, make sure you know the square footage of the room it will be placed in. Most models that cover 700 square feet are sufficient for small rooms. It’s important to choose the appropriate capacity size because a humidifier that’s too large for the room can cause condensation and mildew growth.
3. Output/Gallon Size – The humidifier’s gallon size refers to its humidity output per day, not the actual tank size. When choosing a humidifier based on its output, you should also consider its capacity and your room size.
4. Warm or Cool Mist – Those in colder climates may prefer a warm mist humidifier, while people in warmer places might want a cool mister instead.
Once you to find the best humidifier that’s right for you, it’s important to practice proper maintenance to extend the life of your product. Here’s how to make sure your humidifier runs as efficiently as possible:
a. Filter Replacement – It’s recommended that you replace your humidifier’s filter at least once each season to prevent mineral buildup. If your filter starts appearing discolored, it means it’s time to swap it out with a fresh filter to ensure optimum output.
b. Tank Cleaning – To avoid bacteria growth and to kill germs, rinse the humidifier tank and change the water daily.
Home and office humidifiers don’t only offer health benefits – they can also make electronic devices like computers, cameras and phones last longer. These electronics tend to overheat when the air is too dry, and maintaining the right humidity will make it easier for your devices to run. We offer a wide selection of humidifiers from leading brands at affordable prices. Check out our whole-house humidifiers from Aprilaire and our range of portable humidifiers from top brands like Honeywell, Vornado, Holmes, Bionaire and Lasko.