- Your Shopping Cart is empty.
How Does PEX Tubing Compare To Copper Piping?
For years and years, European home builders have opted for PEX tubing over copper. However, it’s taken a while for the popularity of PEX to grow in the United States. Yet, for those who do use it, they cite multiple advantages over copper. For plumbing systems, heating and cooling systems and fire safety systems in homes and commercial spaces, PEX tubing is a cheaper and more durable product.
PEX is the short term for Crosslinked Polyethylene. Made from a crosslinked high density polyethylene polymer, PEX tubing can be used for small to large plumbing jobs, fire safety systems and for heating and cooling systems. Some of the many advantages of PEX tubing over copper piping include:
· PEX is much cheaper than copper, and contractors and builders realize savings in the product alone.
· PEX requires fewer hours of labor as there is less time spent installing fittings than when using copper, thus resulting in greater savings.
· PEX is resistant to scale build-up which is occurs frequently with copper piping.
· PEX is corrosion resistant, and unlikely to develop pinholes throughout, even if you happen to live in an area with highly acidic water.
· PEX is far more resistant to damage from freezing than copper or plastic.
· PEX tubing is versatile and flexible- able to bend to meet even 90° angles.
· PEX is lighter in weight and easier to store than copper piping.
- PEX tubing removes the need to solder, thereby reducing the hazards involves in soldering metal.
- PEX tubing transports water more quietly than through copper pipes.
- PEX tubing does not require the use of glue, so ventilation concerns are reduced.
PEX tubing is sold by Westside Wholesale in spools (coils), with lengths ranging from 100 feet to 1,000 feet and lengths in between. It is offered in colors including red, white and blue. Westside Wholesale supplies PEX tubing in sizes including ½ inch, ¾ inch, 1”, 1¼”, 1½”, 2” and other sizes. The manufacturer’s warranty on PEX tubing may last up to 25 years.
Visit our PEX tubing for plumbing section.